Topicwise Questions - Climate & Weather
1. The main cause of global climatic change is
- Increase in the content of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere
- Emissions of industrial gases
- Adding of dust
- Changes in plant cover
2. If there is no carbon dioxide in the earth’s atmosphere, the temperature of earth’s surface would be
- Dependent on the amount of oxygen in the atmosphere
- Higher than the present
- Less than the present
- The same
3. High pressure sub-tropical calm belts known as ‘Horse Latitudes’ lie between
- 0° and 10°
- 15° and 25°
- 20° and 25°
- 30° and 35°
4. Which from the following can cause a tsunami?
5. The direction to which wind blows is known as
- Eleaving side
- None of these
6. Consider the following statements :
- All cyclones develop an eye at the centre.
- The temperature inside the eye is nearly 10° C lesser than that of the surroundings.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct?
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
7. Which one of the following is a low cloud?
8. Which region of the Earth’s surface is called doldrums?
- Equatorial low pressure belt
- Sub-tropical high pressure belt
- Between 10° to 23½° North and South Latitudes
- Sub-polar low pressure belt
9. Which one of the following pairs of oceans and currents is not correctly matched?
- North Atlantic Ocean : Canaries current
- Eastern Pacific Ocean : Kuroshio current
- South Atlantic Ocean : Falkland current
- Indian Ocean : Agulhas current
10. Savanna natural region is characterized by which one of the following?
- A distinct wet and dry season with annual range of temperature between 3° C – 8° C.
- Broad-leaf evergreen forests and grasses
- Uniformly high temperature throughout the year
- No spatial variation in mean annual rainfall
11. Name the continent where ‘Tundra’ type of climate is not found
- North America
12. If the temperature of a place increases suddenly the relative humidity
- Remains constant
13. Which one of the following is the example of planetary winds?
- Trade wind
- Land and sea breezes
14. The dew point is the temperature at which -
- water in the liquid state changes to vapour
- the dew begins to evaporate
- water vapour condenses to a liquid
- hailstones are formed
15. Threat of global warming is increasing due to increasing concentration of
- Nitrous oxide
- Sulphur dioxide
- Carbon dioxide
16. EI Nino is
- A sea storm
- A warm ocean current
- A tropical disturbance
- Another name of typhoon
17. The earth revolves round the sun. This causes :
- Formation of day and night
- Deflection of winds and currents
- Change of seasons
- Differences in longitude and time
18. Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the code given below the Lists:
|List-I (Instrument)||List – II (Used to measure)|
|A. Udometer||1. Atmospheric pressure|
|B. Barometer||2. Rainfall|
|C. Anemometer||3. Humidity|
|D. Hygrometer||4. Wind speed|
- A - 2; B - 3; C - 1; D - 4
- A - 2; B - 1; C - 4; D - 3
- A - 4; B - 1; C - 3; D - 2
- A - 4; B - 3; C - 1; D - 2