Subjectwise Questions - Gases
1. Carbon dioxide is called a greenhouse gas because
- Its concentration remains always higher than other gases
- It is used in photosynthesis
- It absorbs infrared radiation
- It emits visible radiation
2. What is the major role of a greenhouse gas that contributes to temperature rise of the earth’s surface?
- Transparent to both incoming sunlight and outgoing infrared radiation
- Stops both incoming sunlight and outgoing infrared radiation
- Lets outgoing infrared radiation pass through but stops incoming sunlight
- Lets incoming sunlight pass through but stops outgoing infrared radiation
3. Consider the following statements:
- Ozone is mostly found in the stratosphere.
- Ozone layer lies 55-75 km above the surface of the Earth.
- Ozone absorbs ultraviolet radiation from the Sun.
- Ozone layer has no significance for life on the Earth.
Which of the statements given above are correct?
- 1 and 2
- 1 and 3
- 2 and 3
- 3 and 4
4. Which among the following nontoxic gases helps in formation of enzymes which ripen fruit?
- Carbon dioxide
5. Which one among the following is strong smelling agent added to LPG cylinder to help in the detection of gas leakage?
6. Which of the following statements regarding ozone layer within the atmosphere is/are correct?
- It absorbs most of the ultraviolet radiation found in the Sun's rays.
- Chloroflourocarbons are serious threat to the ozone layer.
Select the correct answer using the code given below:
- 1 only
- 2 only
- Both 1 and 2
- Neither 1 nor 2
7. The major component in LPG is
8. The vertical movement of air is termed as
- Air Current
- Air turbulence
- Air mobility
9. Which of the following is not a method of preparing oxygen?
- Electrolysis of water
- Fractional distillation of liquid air
- Decomposition of potassium permanganate
- Decomposition of manganese dioxide
10. Oxygen and ozone are
11. Ozone layer is present in
12. Which is the lowest layer of the atmosphere ?
13. Which one of the following is a major constituent of Biogas?
- Carbon dioxide
- Nitrogen Dioxide
14. Sea breeze is formed during
- Day time
- Night time
15. The Refrigerant 'FREON' is
- Calcium Tetra Flouride
- Diflouro Dichloro Methane
- Flourspar and Felspar
- Hydrofluosilicic Acid
16. Now a days, Yellow lamps are frequently used as street lights. Which among the following gases, is used in these lamps?
17. The atmospheric air is held to the earth by
- Rotation of the earth
18. The Noble Gas used for the treatment of cancer is ___?
19. The optimum dissolved oxygen level (in mg/litre) required for survival of aquatic organisms is
- 4 - 6
- 2 - 4
- 8 - 10
- 12 - 16
20. Troposphere is the hottest part of the atmosphere because
- it is closest to the Sun
- there are charged particles in it
- it is heated by the Earth’s surface
- heat is generated in it
21. The gas which turns limewater milky is
- carbon dioxide
- carbon monoxide
- nitrogen dioxide
22. Which of the following is the lightest gas?
23. Hydrogen is not found in atmosphere because
- It is highly inflammable
- It is the lightest gas
- It is absorbed by plants
- It immediately combines with oxygen to form water
24. The gas used for filling weather balloons is
25. What is the chemical name of Laughing Gas?
- Silver nitrate
- Sodium carbonate
- Calcium sulphate
- Nitrous oxide
26. The coloured discharge tubes for advertisement mainly contain
27. Which one of the following noble gases is not found in the atmosphere (negligible quantity)?
28. For respiration in deep sea, divers use mixture of
- Oxygen and helium
- Oxygen and hydrogen
- Oxygen and carbon dioxide
- Oxygen and nitrogen
29. Gases used to prepare Ammonia gas are
- Nitrogen and Oxygen
- Nitrogen and Oxide
- Nitrogen and Hydrogen
- Nitrogen and Carbon
30. Which one of the following gases is opaque to outgoing terrestial radiation but transparent to incoming solar radiation?
31. In oxygen, things :
- burn dimly
- burn brightly
- do not burn at all
- burn rapidly and are immediately reduced to ashes
32. Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) consists of mainly :
- methane, ethane and hexane
- ethane, butane and propane
- ethane, hexane and nonane
- nonane, ethane and hexane
33. The gas produced by pouring water on calcium carbide is :
34. Which of the following gases is considered a better substitute to air in car tyres?
35. Which of the following noble gases is most abundant in Earth's atmosphere?