Multiple Choice Questions - Heat and Temperature related Questions
1. Which of the following is the fastest process of heat transfer?
2. The factors directly proportional to the amount of heat conducted through a metal rod are -
Time of flow of Heat
Area of cross section
All the above
3. 1 gm of ice at 0° C is mixed with 1 gm of steam at 100° C. After thermal equilibrium, the temperature of the mixture is
4. What would be the thermal resistance of an ideal conductor?
5. Why does the bottom of a lake not freeze in severe winter even when the surface is all frozen?
The water has large specific heat
The conductivity of ice is low
The water has large latent heat of fusion
The temperature of the earth at the bottom of the lake is high.
6. A cooking pot is coated black because -
black substances absorb more heat
black substances reflect more heat
black surfaces are easier to clean
the material of the pot would not be damaged
7. Specific heat is -
the specific temperature at which the substance is in solid state.
the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 gram of a substance by 1 degree Celsius.
the amount of heat conducted in 1 minute.
the heat needed to increase the temperature of 1 gallon of water by 1 degree Fahrenheit.
8. How will a metal container full of hot water in vaccum lose heat?
will stay hot for ever
9. A block of ice
cannot radiate heat
can radiate heat but cannot absorb heat
can absorb heat but cannot radiate heat
can radiate as well as absorb heat
10. As a solid undergoes a phase change to a liquid state, it
releases heat while remaining at a constant temperature.
absorbs heat while remaining at a constant temperature.
releases heat as the temperature decreases.
absorbs heat as the temperature increases.
11. A cup of hot tea on a metal table in a room loses heat by
All the above
12. Which among the following is true of a sphere, a cube and circular plate of same material and same mass heated to same temperature?
Sphere cools the slowest
Circular plate cools the fastest
Cube cools the fastest
Circular plate cools the slowest
13. At what temperature are the Celsius and Fahrenheit equal?
14. What would happen to a hole in a metal sheet when the sheet is heated?
It decreases in size
It increases in size
No change is seen
First increases and then decreases
15. Which of the following is equivalent of a calorie?
the specific heat of water.
the energy needed to increase the temperature of 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.
equivalent to a little over 4 joules of mechanical work.
all of the above.
16. In which of the following processes of heat transfer no medium is required?
17. In which of the following processes is heat transferred directly from molecule to molecule?
all of the above
18. When a solid, liquid, or a gas changes from one physical state to another, the change is called
a phase change
19. The surface which radiates more heat at a given temperature is
Black and Polished
White and polished
White and Rough
Black and Rough
20. Compared to warm air, cool air can hold
more water vapour
less water vapour
the same amount of water vapour
temperature is unimportant here
21. The change of state directly from solid to gas is called
22. Which of the following is used for measurement of high temperatures?
23. If boiling water is taken to the dark side of the moon it will
continue to boil
stop boiling but remain hot
24. Which two liquids are used in the construction of minimum and maximum thermometers?
mercury and water
water and alcohol
mercury and alcohol
mercury and bromine
25. Which one among the following statements about thermal conductivity is correct?
Steel > Wood > Water
Steel > Water > Wood
Water > Steel > Wood
Water > Wood > Steel
26. A hot object loses heat to its surroundings in the form of heat radiation. The rate of loss of heat depends on the
temperature of the object
temperature of the surroundings
temperature difference between the object and its surroundings
average temperature of the object and its surroundings
27. Body A of mass 2 kg and another body B of mass 4 kg and of same material are kept in the same sunshine for some interval of time. If the rise in temperature is equal for both the bodies, then which one among the following in this regard is correct?
Heat absorbed by B is double because its mass is double
Heat absorbed by A is double because its mass is half
Heat absorbed by Both A and B is equal because the quantity of heat absorbed does not depend upon mass
Heat absorbed by B is four times than the heat absorbed by A because the quantity of heat absorbed is proportional to square of the mass
28. A glass of water does not turn into ice as it reaches 0° C. It is because
water does not solidify at 0° C
a certain amount of heat must be supplied to the glass of water so as to solidify
a certain amount of heat must be taken out from the glass of water so as to solidify
water solidifies at 0° K only
29. Thermometer A and B have ice points marked at 15° and 25° and steam points at 75° and 125° respectively. When thermometer A measures the temperature of a bath as 60° the reading of B for the same bath is
Answer (d). 60 – 15/60 = B – 25/100 ⇒ B = 100°
30. Which one among the following waves are called waves of heat energy?
31. In a pressure cooker cooking is faster because the increase in vapour pressure
increases the specific heat
decreases the specific heat
decreases the boiling point
increases the boiling point
32. If a heater coil is cut into two equal parts and only one part is used in the heater, the heat generated will be:
33. The best and the poorest conductors of heat are respectively
silver (Ag) and lead (Pb)
copper (Cu) and aluminium (Al)
silver (Ag) and gold (Au)
copper (cu) and gold (Au)
34. Which one of the following is the mode of heat transfer in which warm material is transported so as to displace a cooler material?
Both conduction and convection
35. Which one among the following denotes the smallest temperature?
1° on the Celsius scale
1° on the Kelvin scale
1° on the Fahrenheit scale
1° on the Reaumur scale
36. Which among the following thermometers is preferred for measuring temperature around 1250° C?