G.K. Questions - Metals
1. Which one of the following metals is the best conductor of electricity?
2. Which of the following is the lightest metal?
3. Which two metals combine to form Bell metal?
- nickel and copper
- zinc and copper
- tin and copper
- brass and nickel
4. Which of the following metals is known to pollute the air of big cities with a large number of vehicles?
5. Which of the following metals is used in making the filament of an electric bulb?
6. Which one among the following metals is used for making boats because it does not corrode by seawater?
7. Which one of the following metals/alloys is used in electric heating elements?
8. Why are noble metals so named?
- Because they are expensive
- Because they are generally resistant to corrosion and oxidation
- Because they are rarely found in the earth
- Because they are more malleable and ductile than others
9. Due to its reactivity, the alkali metal sodium is stored in -
10. Thin foils of which of the following metals are used in decorating sweets?
11. Which of the following metals has been used in making the Statue of Liberty?
12. Metals are good conductors of electricity because
- they are electrically unstable
- atoms in their molecules are loosely packed
- they have free electrons
- they are ductile
13. Into which of the following metals does radioactive Uranium decay when it loses all its radioactivity?
14. Galvanized iron has a thin coating of :
15. The Venus symbol (♀), a circle with a small cross below it, is the gender symbol for female and also the metal -
16. Plumbism is a condition due to the poisoning effect of -
17. Duralumin is an alloy of copper and
18. In which of the following metals is the speed of sound the fastest?
19. Which of the following is the heaviest metal?
20. Which of the following gases is responsible for discolouration of brass in air?
- nitrogen oxide
- carbon dioxide
- water vapour
- hydrogen sulphide
21. Which of the following metals forms an amalgam with other metals?
22. Which of the following metals is central to chlorophyll, the pigment which gives green colour to leaves of plants?
23. Supplements containing which of the following metals are generally prescribed for persons suffering from anaemia?
24. Nichrome is used as heating element because of its -
- low resistivity and high melting point
- high resistivity and low melting point
- low resistivity and high melting ppoint
- high resistivity and high melting point
25. The toxicity of which of the following heavy metals leads to liver cirrhosis ?